Monday, February 18, 2013

13th Steppers Exposed

 

coffee She’s not a saint by any means but she has some words of wisdom for the new members of Alcoholics Anonymous, including “Most of all, I have regained my self-respect.”

From an AA Grapevine article at; Give The Girl [or Guy] A Chance

“Today, I can say to the new gals [or guys] : If you put sobriety first, you can make it. In the Thirteenth Step area, here are a few of the lines I look for.

I run, don’t walk, away from the glib orator who presents a beautiful program of solid sobriety at an AA meeting, but confides to me at the first opportunity, when we are having a cup of coffee, that I’m so understanding and if he[or she] had someone around like me, his [or her] life would be different (he’s [or she’s] being understood far more than he [or she] realizes), or “You’re a beautiful person. I’d like to get to know you better.”

I’m leery of a guy [or gal] who puts too much emphasis on our wonderful Slogan Live and Let Live. The Slogans have been a lifeline to me, and I respect and use them (or try to) in the right context. But when I hear a member say over and over, “Where I go, what I do, when I do it, and who I do it with is my business — I say, Live and Let Live,” I know this dude’s feeling guilty. He’s [or she’s] doing something he [or she] shouldn’t be doing, or he [or she] wouldn’t be trying so hard to tell us to mind our own business. He’s [or she’s] paranoid.

Full story at; A Dozen Steps

No comments: