Sunday, July 15, 2007

Courage to Change in Alateen

Reality

Whenever we Alateen members met with Al-Anon, I felt doubtful. I didn’t think adults could help me in any way, because they were sure to have the same sick attitudes as my alcoholic parents. I would think to myself, "Oh great, here we go again." But I was the one with the sick attitude. I had closed my mind, not only to my parents, but to all adults.

I brought this attitude to meetings, so I didn’t learn a thing. I had to deal with my old resentments before I could recognize the wonderful gift Al-Anon was offering. Here were people who could help me heal the wounds my parents’ drinking had left, and help me to know that it is safe to be a part of my world.

It took discipline and courage to stop pushing every adult away, but because I made the effort, I began to see that adults are human, too. I have even begun to believe that my parents are doing the best they can, and I can love them the way they are without having to change them or myself.

Today’s Reminder

Al-Anon helps me to see things as they are. The people in my life aren’t the way I sometimes think they should be. With Al-Anon’s help I can love them for who they are, instead of who I think they should be.

"Life truly lived is a risky business, and if one puts up too many fences against risk one ends by shutting out life itself."

~Kenneth S. Davis

(Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. 1992)

 

No comments: